Monday, April 28, 2008

I fear getting old

Sunday night I taped a program at a church. Before the program started an old lady fell right in front of me.

She looked to be in her early 60s, with blond hair (possibly died). She didn't look old enough to be on the cast of the Golden Girls (best sitcom EVER), but she was older.

The way she fell was what made me laugh (I checked to see if she was ok first, so don't judge). She fell and kept her arms at her side, they never moved. So it looked like she was a salmon going upstream.

I hope I don't fall!


She just went up in the air and came down like she was on a board. She did not bend, she did not move her hands to protect her face, nothing. The part that spooked me was the aftermath.

She was ok so she got up and took her seat, but every other old person started talking about the time they fell. "Oh Lord, that was just like the time I fell in Shoprite. Girl it was crazy." It that what being old is like; talking about the time you fell or the pain in your hip? No thank you.

I fell here in 1984, and I ain't moving!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I watched an old woman fall off the treadmill. It was, possibly, the best day of my life.

I am a bad person.

Josh Homer said...

you're not bad, you're just human. If God did not want us to laugh at people falling down he would not have given us the gift of schadenfreude. Granted it took a German to come up with a name for it, so maybe it is bad. Whatever people falling is funny, old people doing it is even funnier, monkies would be even better.