Monday, April 21, 2008

Is it really that serious?

Friday I went to Philly for the Mets vs. Phillies game. I did not want to go; in fact I think baseball is the most boring sport alive. Any sport where the fans get a break is pretty boring.

The thing that struck me was how hard core the fans were. I don't mean wearing jersey's I mean the hate in their blood.

I was waiting in line for a cheese steak when a Met's fan got in line, well actually he cut. His friend, who is a Phillies fan, held his spot for him and he jumped in line. No problem for me. However the Phillies fans had a huge problem with it. "I hope you die f@ggot!" "I hope you choke on that steak, why don't you just have some of your sh!tty New York pizza instead!" Wow. Is it that serious? It's just a game.

I moved my seat during the game so my wife could talk to one of her coworkers. As she chatted away a Spanish player got up to bat for the Mets. Directly behind me, only one row away, a group of 20 years olds started up. "Go back to your won country Mexican!" "Hey illegal go home! You suck!" I turned around and gave the dude the side eye. They shut up. My whole thing is their racism is not even logical. How can you hate a Spanish player on the Mets yet have a bunch of Spanish players on the Phillies you love. It's baseball! If it was not for minorities (mostly Spanish) there would be no sport, or at least it would not be at the level it is today.

In the end the Mets won. I was even taunted by some Phillies fans for being a New Yorker. I honestly believe that you have to have nothing else going on in your life to be that into sports. If the Mets win or loose, I still have to go to work and pay my bills. If Jose Reyes has a great game I don't get a raise.

3 comments:

Harris said...

hey josh homer,

i agree...and disagree.

i used to be a huge sports fan, but can't any longer due to greedy owners, players who dont give a shit about fans, etc. -

while i do generally feel the way you do about those who consider sports like it's life and death, i also think that if that makes them happy...gives them reason to care about something, then why not? why is that dumber than being into art or literature? yet those are consider respectable pursuits.

i really wish you had an answer for me since believe, i'd LOVE to look down at them, but i can't.


rock on,

aitch

Josh Homer said...

Harris,
I'm not saying loving sports is bad, but how you show it. have you ever been to a museum and a person is looking at a Monet, says they like it only to hear a Picasso fan call him a faggot and wished he died? Never.

When something is taken to the level of fanaticism, no matter if it's sports, religion or books it's not a good thing.

Josh

Harris said...

hey josh homer,

i gotcha. read it wrong.

rock on,

aitch