Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I'll get it right one day

So due to recent events in my life, I was scared into going back to the gym. I used to go 4 times a week, I also used to do martial arts as well. Then I got old and married, and I stopped going to the gym. It's not that I have the attitude of, "I'm married now so I don't need to impress anyone." It's that I'm married now and the time I would spend in the gym giving myself attention has to be used on giving my wife attention. I say all this to point out I'm back in the gym.

I get up early and go to the gym before work. This requires me to shower at the gym, something I have never done before. I used to work out at night at a gym near my home and just ride my bike home and shower. This is no longer possible.

My first gym shower was on Monday. I heard stories of dudes in the shower with their legs up for no reason and their manly parts hanging down as they talked to other dudes or on their cell phones or brushed their hair. I thought they were stories exaggerated for effect, I was wrong. Today while I was getting ready after my shower, one dude walked by my locker 3 times. He was fully clothed and ready to head out. I really don't care, but I felt like women must feel every day; like a piece of meat. At least the dude walking by could have asked me a question like, "So with Clinton winning by 10 points last night, how do you think the Obama camp will readjust their strategy if an adjustments are needed?" At least then I would know he respected me.

I also seem to forget something in my gym bag every day. Monday I forgot my underwear. Today I forgot my belt. Now forgetting your belt may not seem so bad, but for me it is. I'm the only black dude in my department, one of two in my entire company (the other black dude works in a corner cube so no one ever sees him). I can't have my pants falling down. The reputation of the entire race rests on my shoulders (or at least that’s how it always feels. That's why I over tip even when the service is bad. I have a story about this, but that's another blog).

My wife says I need to befriend the other black guy here. I don't think I do. I mean how can I? Just walk up to him and say, "So... I heard you're black too."

No comments: