Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sitcom wars

I love the sitcom The Golden Girls. It is a classic; well written, fleshed out real characters, great subject matter, it's just phenomenal all around.

Thank you for being a friend

Bea Arthur's comedic timing is some of the best of all time. Estelle Getty is so good in this show I forgave her for Stop or My Mom Will Shoot. Rue McClanahan was the sexiest woman over 60 for a long time (too bad she can't be the sexiest woman over 80). Betty White is still hilarious, check out her many appearances on Conan and other show that she still does till this day. I've seen every episoide of the show and they're all classics.

My wife however loves the sitcom Designing Women, which I personally think is the worst sitcom of all time. I've been forced to watch this vile excuse for comedy on more than one occasion. The jokes are weak, you see the punches coming a mile away, the comedy is all based on stereotypes and it's just not funny. But you can't tell my wife anything. She says it's a show that highlights strong southern women, which it does, just not in a funny way. I also think the show makes a mockery of black dudes, as the only black charter on the show is an ex con who is a closet homosexual (not saying that there is anything wrong with that) and any of the black guest characters happen to be criminals too (check out the episode where the kid who was being mentored by them steals, it's an instant classic).

This show about strong women kicked a character off because the actor got too fat! That's feminism in action.

In short, I hate Nick at Night for putting this show back on the air and thereby making sure my life can never be calm. I curse you Nick at Night and all th epeople in TV Land!

4 comments:

Harris said...

hey josh homer,

yer both retarded (in the seventh grade sense of the word).

if our building is condemned, i'd rather sleep in the park than your place and watch golden girl and designing women reruns.

rock on,

aitch

Josh Homer said...

Harris,
You're missing out on the GG marathon only on Lifetime - television for women.

Josh

Anonymous said...

You know I down with the GG, for Chrissakes, look at my wife! (I hope she doesn't read this or I'm in trouble -- if she can catch me.)

Designing Women wasn't too bad Josh, don't be a hater. It had Annie Potts from Ghostbusters and Corvette Summer, Delta Burke from First and Ten, and Dixie Carter, who I remember became Arnold's stepmom in the later seasons of Diff'Rent Strokes. And Meschak Taylor, who played Anthony I didn't think was stereotypical, I thought he was in on the joke and the ladies weren't. Although I admit I did't watch too many episodes of that show. I will admit, and Harris will probably concur, that I watched (and still watch) wayyyy too much TV.

-Kantad-

Josh Homer said...

Kantad,

Annie Pots was smokin' hot back in the day, check out Who's Harry Crumb where she plays the villainess.

But the show, to me, is just bad. I watch it and don't laugh at all. GG always cracks me up.... picture it Scicily 1925.....

Josh