Monday, June 23, 2008

RIP George Carlin


I was going to put up a post about how my TV debut went, but that seems like crap when compared to the fact George Carlin passed away on Sunday of heart failure. You see as a kid I was not allowed to watch Mr. Carlin perform, as he was a "blue" comic (blue means they say dirty words) and my parents were/are super religious. So I was not able to see his comedy until I was older and away from prying eyes.

Carlin was blue, but there was a method to it. He did not say dirty words for the sake of just shock value. Although some of his routines where meant to shock, they shocked you into thinking. His comedy was full of "ah ha moments" that made you laugh and re-examine your own beliefs and viewpoints. He wielded curse words like a surgeon, and those who follow him tend to use them like a sledge hammer. He will be missed.

Here is Carlin's famous 7 words you can't say on television


Here is Carlin on The View being a grumpy old man, I laughed out loud when I saw this. I wasn't working a day job at the time and set my alarmm to watch The View and Carlin did not let me down.

1 comment:

amypatrick said...

Carlin on the environment. I couldn't have said it better myself. I wonder after "Dogma" if he's chatting with Pope John Paul right now!