Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thank you for being a friend

Today I mourn the passing of Estelle Getty aka Sophia Spirelli Petrillo. As anyone who reads this blog or knows me in real life knows I love the Golden Girls, I am one of three straight men alive who do.

I actually feel sadder about this than Carlin's passing. I know I shouldn't but I do. I grew up on the Golden Girls, while Carlin I "discovered" at a much older age. In any event, Golden Girls is still a timeless classic in part due to Estelle Getty's character, one which she abandoned to have kids and then resurrected to critical acclaim. You will be missed.

3 comments:

amypatrick said...

She was one-liner machine. Bea Arthur's slow burn would have been nothing without her.

"Picture it...Sicily"

Josh Homer said...

Word. Although she played Bea's mom she was 13 years younger.

Josh

Anonymous said...

I actually e-mailed you as soon as I heard the news - but you already blogged on it. She will definitely be missed. But I still can't recommend "Stop, or My Mom Will Shoot!"

-Kantad-